Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 5



So hungry I was distracted...all day long.  A quick breakfast of Amaranth seeds.  Chicken and veggies for lunch with a side of pineapple and raspberries.  Supper was great but I was starving the entire time I prepared it.  I think the problem was not having enough to snack on throughout the day and not having a larger breakfast.  Supper filled me up though.  To the brim!
I'm very excited about this recipe.  I found a recipe that I modified, made up my own recipe :) and returned to an old favorite recipe, sweet potato fries!

Coconut chicken (modified recipe)
I used the chicken I made yesterday, but it would probably be more juicy/tasty made from scratch.

1 pound of chicken tenders or cubed chicken
1 cup of organic flaked coconut (unsweetened)
1/3 cup arrowroot flour
1/3 cup coconut flour
a dash of salt, pepper and other poultry seasonings, as desired (I used a savory seasoning)
1 t of garlic powder
Enough water/rice milk (or other hypoallergenic milk) to make the batter runny
EVOO or another oil

Preheat oven to 350.  Put flaked coconut into a bowl.  Mix all other dry ingredients and then add milk/water to make the batter.  Dip tenders in batter and then coat in flaked coconut.    Heat oil in pan (I used a wok!) and when hot, add chicken.  Fry until golden (flipping to fry each side).  Remove from skillet and put in oven until chicken is cooked thoroughly (a little over 10 minutes).

Honey Dipping Sauce - This is an original Kelly recipe! (So all measurements are guessed)
Rice milk -about 1/2c-3/4c
Maple syrup- about 1 T
Raw honey- about 2 T
1 1/2 T of arrowroot flour

Heat rice milk, syrup, honey in a small saucepan until boiling (stir frequently).
Mix arrowroot with a bit of rice milk to make it liquid and then add to boiling liquids.  Stir and remove from heat immediately.  It should thicken almost right away.  Do not overstir, it will liquify again.  Let set.

Sweet potato fries (an old favorite)
Peel sweet potato, cut into strips like fries.  Coat with a small amount of EVOO.  Sprinkle with dried basil and salt.  Bake at 400 degrees, turning as needed, until desired texture/crispiness achieved.  (I usually like this with an aioli- mayo, garlic, lemon juice- but that is not allowed on this diet right now.  So I just had them plain.  I'm going to try to make a cinnamon dipping sauce (using the honey dipping sauce technique but omitting the honey and adding a dash of vanilla and sprinkle of cinnamon once removed from heat).

Overall I felt fairly normal today.  I had a bit of a runny nose, but that was the only possible detox symptom and a very minor annoyance.

This diet is very time intensive and it's making it hard for me to balance my life out.  Cooking supper (prep and all) took over an hour, and I didn't take the time to make a breakfast because I was rushed to get to work.  I'm used to grab and go type meals.   Right now I'm testing the waters with these recipes, but as I find some stellar ones like the coconut chicken and honey dipping sauce, I'll start making larger batches so there are left overs!


1 comment:

Deborah Crane said...

Now a use for arrowroot flour! And coconut flour! Who knew? I was hungry today but not as intense as the first 4 days. Are we only 5 days into this?! Keep the meal suggestions and recipes coming!