Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day 13

Today started out great.  Almonds for breakfast, a salad and chicken for lunch, and then....a brilliant idea.  I wanted something sweet so I searched for hypoallergenic desserts (dairy free, sugar free, gluten free, etc.).  I found a recipe for a pear cake and frosting.  I went and bought all the supplies (a bit pricey for a cake!) and ran home to mix it up.  I was excited to have something that would be filling and sweet.  I baked the cake and made the frosting.  I ate some brussel sprouts and then headed out to help a friend paint their new house.  By the time I got home the cake was cooled.  I cut a piece and put a dollop of frosting on top and ate.  The taste was ok, the pears were crunchy and the frosting seemed really sweet to me, so I didn't think it was amazing, but it was edible.  And then, horribleness happened.  Within minutes my stomach felt weird.  At first I thought I was just full since the cake was dense, but then my stomach started churning.  Ugh.  I had to zip to the bathroom and then for the next several minutes was excruciating pain which slowly faded.  My stomach still hurts, but it's a lot better.  The suspected culprit- palm shortening or agave nectar.  I have had neither of those yet.  I also hadn't had the quinoa flour, but I did have quinoa and didn't react.  Other ingredients in there I haven't had thus far, but are lower on the suspect list are- baking soda, almond flavoring, flax seed, and walnuts.  I'm so bummed.  I thought I was being careful, and now I have no clue if it was even the cake or the frosting that caused it, and I don't really have a desire to try them separately.  It was so painful!

Tomorrow I'm going to try to call around and find a new gp (mine left the practice) and maybe get in to talk about what I'm doing and get a better plan.  I do have an appointment with my GI doctor but that isn't for another few weeks.  I'm going to look for D.O. and someone who has hospital privileges.

1 comment:

Deborah Crane said...

Tomorrow is 2 weeks!!! Should we celebrate with some cake? ;)