I'm on my 103rd diet- FODMAPs, still trying to figure out my stomach woes, but this one so far is promising (and depressing). Promising on the one hand because I did it for a short time and it worked! Depressing because I found out apples make me deathly ill :(
After they hypoallergenic trial I saw my GI doctor. I told her what had happened- that I didn't really react to introducing any specific food groups back in. Except I got a little burpy with the nightshades. She diagnosed me with GERD and gave me Ranitidine- which I took for a minute and promptly stopped. It made me have burning and intense reflux like never before! Yikes! I'm sure it helps some people, just not this person. Besides the GERD dx she also introduced me to the FODMAP friendly diet. I tried it for a couple weeks (before another GI check up) and during the elimination phase I accidentally ate something with apple puree in it and got oh so very sick. Apples! I'm devastated and still not over it. I actually forgot about the apples trying to kill me when I was visiting some family and they had homemade applesauce warmed up with cinnamon. I helped myself to a heaping serving and then the stomach pains came...sooooo painful! Here is how much I love apples- favorite pie- apple, favorite crisp- apple, annual family trip- apple orchard, favorite food my grandma made- apple butter...I could go on. This blow was so devastating I didn't even want to know what foods were bothering me so I have just been eating whatever I want for a few months. But some thing has gotta give and it's time to figure this out once and for all!
Currently my goals are
1.) to consume 100g of protein each day
2.) do intermittent fasting (wait to begin eating until 4 hrs after waking up and stop eating after 8 hours from the start time)
3.) consume 1500 calories daily
4.) consume 100 ounces of water daily
Ok, so those first 4 goals are really the goals my personal trainer has for me.
5.) Follow the FODMAPs friendly diet (Read about FODMAPs here.)
6.) Follow a Paleo diet (mostly because it can fall in line with FODMAPs anyways) (Read about Paleo here.)
7.) Get at least 8 hours of sleep a night.
Probably the things I will focus the most on are 1. FODMAP friendliness 2. calories and 3. water. I've already made progress with intermittent fasting and sleep- so hopefully those good habits stick. I'm going to be trying to combine FODMAPs and Paleo and found THIS awesome site to help
After a period of time (appx 2 weeks) I'll start reintroducing FODMAPs back, but my GI doctor did say that just because you don't/do react to one food in one sugar group that doesn't mean you will or won't react to all the foods. Reintroduction is literally one food at a time. This is going to take so long.
So today was DAY 1 and here's what it looked like:
Got up, had a big glass o' water, had some of the cold pressed coffee I made the night before. I tried to make a iced coffee with coconut milk and stevia- it was drinkable, but not awesome. Cold pressed coffee might be best just on its own.
I then had multiple other big glasses of water.
11am- I can start eating! I waited until about noon. I had packed 3 ounces plain cooked chicken breast and a salad (romaine lettuce, tomato, green onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar).
More water.
When I got home I got adventurous. I'm allowing myself bacon (as long as there is no sugar added) as a bit of a treat (I'll mostly try to get protein from chicken and fish). So I decided to make an original recipe (at least I think it's original) Bacon Potato Salad. mmmhmmm.
I cooked up the bacon and save the drippings.
I used those drippings to make a Paleo mayo.
I boiled some eggs and potatoes-cooled-diced. Diced up some green onion and crumbled the bacon. I added some mustard and vinegar to the mayo and mixed everything together. Amazing! It was so much work, I'm glad it tasted good. Definitely a "treat" to be had on this diet. I was having a hard time hitting 1500 calories until I made this deliciousness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment