Saturday, March 23, 2013

Days 12, 13, 14, 15.... and possible reaction to GARLIC!

Nothing exciting happened the last few days of the elimination portion- hence the lack of blogging.  Yesterday was my first challenge day.  There's a lot of information on the web, but not much about how to challenge FODMAPs back into your diet.  I searched and searched and ended up with a plan which combines a few different methods I read about.  I will challenge one food from each group to start with.  There was a site that recommended the following challenges:
Fructose- Mango- 1/2 mango
Lactose-Milk- 1/2-1 cup
Fructans- Garlic- 1 clove
Galactans- Chickpeas- 1/2 cup
Mannitol- Mushrooms- 1/2 cup
Sorbitol- Apricots- 2-4 dried apricots

My plan is to challenge the food for 3 days.  On day 1 I will eat the amount listed above, day 2 I will eat double, day 3 triple (unless I have a strong reaction on one of those days).  Then I will remove that food from my diet again, if necessary be completely FODMAP free for a couple of days before reintroducing the next food.  I will not mix the sugar groups above or keep a food in my diet while reintroducing another food. Some of the information I've read talks about not reacting to 2 different types of sugar on their own, but if a person eats them combined they get sick.  Ideally I will record times I eat, everything eaten, quantity of food eaten, and any times of digestive issues along with specifics on pain.

Yesterday I reintroduced garlic.  I made some potatoes and seasoned them with 1 clove of garlic. I only ate about half of the potatoes so I probably didn't get the full effect, but I had no reaction.  Today I took some Panda puffs to work and Pamela's Lemon shortbread cookie (yum!).  When I got home I made some food.  I used the marinara I had made that was fodmaps free and added 2 cloves of garlic to a serving.  I cooked up some chicken and topped it with the sauce and some mozzarella.  I also ate the leftover potatoes.  I ate at about 4:45pm and at aboug 5:50pm I felt a pain in my stomach.  Not the worst I've had it, but it was noticeable since my stomach had been feeling so good the past couple of weeks.  I'm not entirely convinced, although I probably should be.  But I think I will try the garlic again tomorrow and triple it and see if there is a reaction.  I really didn't think I was going to react to fructans.  Trying not to be sad about it.

No comments: